Postcards of The Week: Scenes from Shelter Island, New York

Lebawit Lily Girma is an award-winning writer, photographer, and blogger specializing in the Caribbean region. Her work is regularly published in major travel publications, including AFAR, CNN, Delta Sky, and Lonely Planet, among others. A self-professed "culture-holic," Lily left her native Ethiopia at age one, fast developing a passion for the expat life. In 2008, she ditched her US corporate law career for the road and created Sunshine and Stilettos— a travel photography blog showcasing authentic ways to experience the Caribbean, through culture and nature. Lily has since partnered with multiple travel brands and tourism boards, and also authors major print guidebooks on three Caribbean destinations, including Belize, the Dominican Republic, and Jamaica.

TwitterFacebookLinkedInYouTube

1. Katherine - Kapcha 25 July, 2012 at 9:43 PM #

Love it – looks so relaxing. How far from NYC is it?

2. Lebawit Lily Girma 25 July, 2012 at 9:58 PM #

Thanks, Katherine! It’s just a two and a half-hour ride from New York City by bus, or two hours by car. Then, a 5-8 minute ferry. It’s quite a trek from DC, but if you live in New York, it’s super close. There are lots of different types of beaches too, I was surprised I could find a pretty island right here in my backyard. 🙂

3. Katherine - Kapcha 25 July, 2012 at 10:20 PM #

Wow awesome – looks so remote. Yay for finding beautiful places. Will have to visit next time I make it to NYC.

4. Lebawit Lily Girma 25 July, 2012 at 10:25 PM #

It really feels that way! I should have blogged more about it, but I didn’t have the energy today! lol. Yes definitely check it out next time, there are cute inns for visitors and you could rent a cottage too.

5. Katherine - Kapcha 25 July, 2012 at 11:11 PM #

Sounds fantastic – will come ask you for advice when I plan my next trip to NYC. Not sure when that will be though! 🙁 Hoepfully TBEX next year might be somewhere near NYC and then I might be able to combine the two!

6. Lebawit Lily Girma 26 July, 2012 at 12:53 PM #

I understand Kat, believe me! Hopefully we will meet at TBEX next year.