Postcards of The Week: Scenes from Shelter Island, New York

Lebawit Lily Girma's writing and photography have been published in CNN Travel, New York Magazine, AFAR, Delta Sky, MorningCalm Magazine (Korea Air), The Guardian, Sunday Times Travel Magazine, The Travel Channel, BBC Travel, and more. Lily is the author of MOON BELIZE and MOON BELIZE CAYES for Moon Travel Guides; she is currently writing a brand new edition of MOON DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (October 2016 release). She is also AFAR’s Jamaica expert, and author of the AFAR Jamaica Country Guide. A serial expat, Lily has lived and studied on three continents, including Africa–from her native Ethiopia to Côte d’Ivoire–Europe and the Americas, and is fluent in four languages. A former attorney who ditched the office for the road in 2009, she favors all things culture, adventure and storytelling, and escapes Washington DC’s winters every year. Lily has a Bachelor of Arts in French and Spanish (summa cum laude) from the University of Maryland at College Park, and a Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law.

1. Katherine - Kapcha 25 July, 2012 at 9:43 PM #

Love it – looks so relaxing. How far from NYC is it?

2. Lebawit Lily Girma 25 July, 2012 at 9:58 PM #

Thanks, Katherine! It’s just a two and a half-hour ride from New York City by bus, or two hours by car. Then, a 5-8 minute ferry. It’s quite a trek from DC, but if you live in New York, it’s super close. There are lots of different types of beaches too, I was surprised I could find a pretty island right here in my backyard. 🙂

3. Katherine - Kapcha 25 July, 2012 at 10:20 PM #

Wow awesome – looks so remote. Yay for finding beautiful places. Will have to visit next time I make it to NYC.

4. Lebawit Lily Girma 25 July, 2012 at 10:25 PM #

It really feels that way! I should have blogged more about it, but I didn’t have the energy today! lol. Yes definitely check it out next time, there are cute inns for visitors and you could rent a cottage too.

5. Katherine - Kapcha 25 July, 2012 at 11:11 PM #

Sounds fantastic – will come ask you for advice when I plan my next trip to NYC. Not sure when that will be though! 🙁 Hoepfully TBEX next year might be somewhere near NYC and then I might be able to combine the two!

6. Lebawit Lily Girma 26 July, 2012 at 12:53 PM #

I understand Kat, believe me! Hopefully we will meet at TBEX next year.