Postcards of The Week: Scenes from Shelter Island, New York

Lebawit Lily Girma is an award-winning, Ethiopian-American travel writer, photographer and author of several Caribbean guidebooks for Moon Travel Guides, including Moon Belize, Moon Belize Cayes, and Moon Dominican Republic (October 2016). Her work focuses on Caribbean culture and adventure, and has been published in AFAR, CNN Travel, BBC, Delta Sky, The Guardian, Sunday Times Travel Magazine, and Every Day With Rachael Ray, among many others. Lily is also the 2016 recipient of the Marcia Vickery Wallace Award for Excellence in Travel Journalism for her Caribbean coverage, from the Caribbean Tourism Organization. Lily calls herself a “culture-holic”–she speaks four languages fluently and has lived in Cote d’Ivoire, England, Jamaica, Belize, the Dominican Republic and traveled to some 30+ countries around the world. Last but not least, she is a former corporate attorney who ditched her Washington DC office for the road in 2009 to pursue her dream of becoming a storyteller. Lily holds a Bachelor of Arts in French and Spanish (summa cum laude) from the University of Maryland at College Park, and a Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law.

1. Katherine - Kapcha 25 July, 2012 at 9:43 PM #

Love it – looks so relaxing. How far from NYC is it?

2. Lebawit Lily Girma 25 July, 2012 at 9:58 PM #

Thanks, Katherine! It’s just a two and a half-hour ride from New York City by bus, or two hours by car. Then, a 5-8 minute ferry. It’s quite a trek from DC, but if you live in New York, it’s super close. There are lots of different types of beaches too, I was surprised I could find a pretty island right here in my backyard. 🙂

3. Katherine - Kapcha 25 July, 2012 at 10:20 PM #

Wow awesome – looks so remote. Yay for finding beautiful places. Will have to visit next time I make it to NYC.

4. Lebawit Lily Girma 25 July, 2012 at 10:25 PM #

It really feels that way! I should have blogged more about it, but I didn’t have the energy today! lol. Yes definitely check it out next time, there are cute inns for visitors and you could rent a cottage too.

5. Katherine - Kapcha 25 July, 2012 at 11:11 PM #

Sounds fantastic – will come ask you for advice when I plan my next trip to NYC. Not sure when that will be though! 🙁 Hoepfully TBEX next year might be somewhere near NYC and then I might be able to combine the two!

6. Lebawit Lily Girma 26 July, 2012 at 12:53 PM #

I understand Kat, believe me! Hopefully we will meet at TBEX next year.