Postcard of The Week: Landing in Jamaica

I’ve been blessed to visit and fly over so many beautiful islands over the past six years, but none give me those happy stomach butterflies pre-landing the way Jamaica does. What is it, I wonder? All you repeat visitors – feel free to chime in!

Maybe it’s flying so low over that turquoise water just before touching the runway. Or thinking about that Red Stripe Bold I’m having as soon as I make it outside. But I don’t think so, it’s something else altogether.

When I return from #TBEX and Colorado, I’ll be sharing more about my upcoming and very first photography book, celebrating my favorite Caribbean country and second home for the last three years.

Lebawit Lily Girma is an award-winning, Ethiopian-American travel writer, photographer and author of several Caribbean guidebooks for Moon Travel Guides, including Moon Belize, Moon Belize Cayes, and Moon Dominican Republic (October 2016). Her work focuses on Caribbean culture and adventure, and has been published in AFAR, CNN Travel, BBC, Delta Sky, The Guardian, Sunday Times Travel Magazine, and Every Day With Rachael Ray, among many others. Lily is also the 2016 recipient of the Marcia Vickery Wallace Award for Excellence in Travel Journalism for her Caribbean coverage, from the Caribbean Tourism Organization. Lily calls herself a “culture-holic”–she speaks four languages fluently and has lived in Cote d’Ivoire, England, Jamaica, Belize, the Dominican Republic and traveled to some 30+ countries around the world. Last but not least, she is a former corporate attorney who ditched her Washington DC office for the road in 2009 to pursue her dream of becoming a storyteller. Lily holds a Bachelor of Arts in French and Spanish (summa cum laude) from the University of Maryland at College Park, and a Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law.

1. Jacquie 13 June, 2012 at 9:11 PM #

For me the butterflies come from the anticipation of the first time the hot, wet air hits your body and then I am crystal clear I am no longer in Canada anymore. I feel completely enveloped by the sticky air…and it clings to you the entire time you are there…
    I remember as a child having to walk down the stairs and make your way across the tarmac and I would suck in that rich humid air as hard as I can. That “first contact” is what sets my tummy off when I see the ground fast approaching as we come in to land.

2. Lebawit Lily Girma 13 June, 2012 at 10:24 PM #

I love that humid air too, Jacquie! So right. I feel the same.

And I just realized from reading you that it also reminds me of when I used to return home to West Africa from England during the summers. The humid air that smacks your face as soon as you step outside. So symbolic – along with the walk on that tarmac back in the day – it meant home and I couldn’t wait to be back home. Jamaica reminds me so much of my years in Ivory Coast. That’s why I love it so much, it reminds me of West Africa.

Thanks for sharing!

3. Katherine 14 June, 2012 at 12:43 AM #

I have never been to the Caribbean but it’s right up there on my bucket list of places to go to. I love sunshine and tropical waters so right up my street!

4. Lebawit Lily Girma 14 June, 2012 at 9:41 AM #

Oh my, you HAVE to go, Katherine! Forget London, ha! Once you go though, you can’t get enough. Heads up!

5. Jacquie 14 June, 2012 at 12:24 PM #

ahh that is so cool to hear that JA reminds you of West Africa! (On my bucket list)
    Yes, I think of the humid air as a “welcome home” hug…and oh boy does it hug you!! lol

6. Lebawit Lily Girma 14 June, 2012 at 12:53 PM #

It really does, that’s how I fell in love with it. Much of the same lifestyle, except bigger and well, more “conservative” than Jamaica (ha). A welcome hug… so true.

7. Candice 14 June, 2012 at 7:00 PM #

Yay, I’m going there next year! I’ll get back to you! Haha

8. Lebawit Lily Girma 14 June, 2012 at 7:09 PM #

Ha! Sounds good Candice! What month are you going?