Postcard of The Week: Frenchman’s Cove Beach in Portland, Jamaica

c66-DSC_2110c.jpg

Wishing all in the U.S. a safe, memorable and relaxing Memorial Weekend.

Lebawit Lily Girma has contributed writing and photography to CNN Travel, New York Magazine, AFAR, American Way, Travel Channel, BBC Travel, and others. She’s the currrent author of MOON BELIZE for Moon Travel Guides and is completing a second title, MOON BELIZE CAYES. Lily is also AFAR's Jamaica Expert, and author of the AFAR Jamaica Country Guide. A serial expat, she's lived and studied on three continents, including Africa–from her native Ethiopia to Côte d'Ivoire–and Europe, and is fluent in four languages. A former attorney who ditched the office for the road in 2009, she favors all things culture, adventure and storytelling, and escapes Washington DC’s winters every year.

1. Dana Crawford 25 May, 2012 at 3:52 PM #

Hello Lilly. I’m a Jamaican who has lived in Miami since 1977 and just totally love my country! Yesterday I found your website and blogs and I must tell you that I have been totally transfixed by them since then! Your descriptions of my country, and, indeed all of your travels are marvelous. I hope to visit Portland for a family reunion in late July, early August and would love to meet you if you are there at that time. Congratulations and keep up the good work.! I wish you continued success.

2. Lebawit Lily Girma 25 May, 2012 at 7:40 PM #

Hi Dana,

What a wonderful note, thank you so much! I truly appreciate your kind words and I’m thrilled that you found my blog.

As I just mentioned this week over on my Facebook group page, Jamaica is very special to me because it’s where I first went for a break from corporate America, and where I realized the depth of my love and talent for photography & storytelling. I just announced this week that I’m working on a Jamaica photo book. Please join me over there if you are on Facebook already: http://facebook.com/sunandstilettos

I would have loved to meet you if I were so lucky as to be in Portland next month like you! But I’m not sure I will be, I am back stateside for a little while right now.

Thanks again for your wishes and I hope you continue to enjoy my stories! Wishing you a wonderful family reunion!:)

Blessings!

3. Waegook Tom 26 May, 2012 at 9:29 PM #

Beautiful photo! Great to see Jamaica presented in a positive light as it definitely comes with its not-so-bright-and-shiny stereotypes.

This beach looks gorgeous – thanks for sharing!

4. Lebawit Lily Girma 26 May, 2012 at 9:44 PM #

Thanks, Tom! I wish I could be there right now.

And yes, isn’t it funny how almost every place comes with those negatives? I recently read a blogger make a stereotypical “it’s not safe” comment about “Africa” (not even sure what she meant, a country, a continent?) – when in fact she’s never been. Good thing there are travelers like us to explore and demystify… ;-)

How’s South Korea working out? I’ve been reading a lot about it lately.

5. Andrea 27 May, 2012 at 12:55 PM #

Beautiful! I’ve been there in 1997. What a nice and peaceful place!

6. Lebawit Lily Girma 27 May, 2012 at 1:37 PM #

It really is peaceful Andrea, I love the east coast for that very reason. I guess it hasn’t changed much since 1997!

7. Andrea 27 May, 2012 at 3:01 PM #

Not much but a little. A few years ago that nice restaurant at blue lagoon (next to frenchman’s cove) was destroyed by a hurricane. It is still a ruin. So sad. I hope some time the eat coastler will get some help and money to rebuilt it.

8. Lebawit Lily Girma 27 May, 2012 at 3:04 PM #

Ah yes I remember! When I went to the Blue Lagoon a couple of times over the past 2 years, that part was still closed. That lagoon is the most magical thing I’ve seen ever.