Postcard of The Day: South Point, Caye Caulker

DSC_4716 2.jpg

This weekend my friend Joanna, a native of Caye Caulker (and fierce entrepreneur), took me to the southernmost point of the island for sunset. Most visitors never venture to this side or even know about it.

When she offered up the idea, of course I was in for some adventure. I didn’t know what to expect and took all my photo gear along, just in case.

After reaching the end point by golf cart, we hiked for a few minutes and came out of the bushes with muddied pants and slippers and a few mosquito bites. But it was worth it – we found that last dock on the tip of the island.

I almost thought I was in Negril, Jamaica (minus the beach!) – the sunset and scenery were breathtaking. I smiled, remembering that way on the other end of the island, tourists were watching sunset from the rowdy Split.

Lebawit Lily Girma has contributed writing and photography to CNN Travel, New York Magazine, AFAR, American Way, Travel Channel, BBC Travel, and others. She’s the new author of MOON BELIZE for Moon Travel Guides, and is completing a second title, MOON BELIZE CAYES. A serial expat, Lily’s lived and studied on three continents, including Africa–from her native Ethiopia to Côte d'Ivoire––and Europe, and is fluent in four languages. A former attorney who ditched the office for the road in 2009, she favors all things culture, adventure and storytelling, and escapes Washington DC’s winters every year. Lily also runs her award-winning travel and photography blog, Sunshine and Stilettos.

1. Joanna 19 February, 2012 at 10:58 PM #

BEAUTIFUL — now, on those days that I need to relax, and I can’t make it to south point, I can look at this picture and remember our cool day. :) btw, I do not suggest visitors venture down there for sunset without a golf cart.

2. Lebawit Lily Girma 20 February, 2012 at 10:24 AM #

Thanks, JO! I know I will be doing the same. One of my favorite moments for sure. Thank you so much for taking me off the beaten path! And yes, LOL, please do not try this without a golf cart and watch for potential crocodiles on the way. :-)

3. Lizette Alamina 21 February, 2012 at 2:24 PM #

How beautiful!! I have never ventured on this path before and it should be worth a try, being a native of Caye Caulker, I need to experience my hometown more! Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo, Lily! :)

4. Raggamuffin Tours 4 April, 2012 at 5:36 PM #

Stunning photograph, I am running to the south point right now to see the view for myself!!

5. Lebawit Lily Girma 4 April, 2012 at 6:07 PM #

Thanks, Raggamuffin Tours. :-) Let us know how it turns out!

6. Marianne 6 April, 2012 at 11:35 AM #

Who doesn’t love a great sunset photo of an amazing “ball of fire.” It is reminiscent of Jamaica, but I was thinking Montego Bay as I captured an incredible sunset there! A lovely addition to the #FriFotos fun on Twitter.

7. Lebawit Lily Girma 6 April, 2012 at 2:40 PM #

Thanks very much Marianne! I appreciate you stopping by. What a great theme, eh? :-)