Postcard from Belize: A Swim In Maskall Village

The Belize District has several villages on the Old Northern Highway that are a short hour-drive outside of Belize City. Some smaller than others, but each with its own character.

One of the more scenic ones is Maskall Village, and it’s also where the Maruba Resort Jungle Spa is located, my hotel for the next couple of days. I saw these kids while driving by yesterday afternoon and stopped to take a peek and talk to them. They were cooling off on a hot afternoon, swimming in fresh river water. I so wished I could have joined them!

Lebawit Lily Girma is an award-winning, Ethiopian-American travel writer, photographer and author of several Caribbean guidebooks for Moon Travel Guides, including Moon Belize, Moon Belize Cayes, and Moon Dominican Republic (October 2016). Her work focuses on Caribbean culture and adventure, and has been published in AFAR, CNN Travel, BBC, Delta Sky, The Guardian, Sunday Times Travel Magazine, and Every Day With Rachael Ray, among many others. Lily is also the 2016 recipient of the Marcia Vickery Wallace Award for Excellence in Travel Journalism for her Caribbean coverage, from the Caribbean Tourism Organization. Lily calls herself a “culture-holic”–she speaks four languages fluently and has lived in Cote d’Ivoire, England, Jamaica, Belize, the Dominican Republic and traveled to some 30+ countries around the world. Last but not least, she is a former corporate attorney who ditched her Washington DC office for the road in 2009 to pursue her dream of becoming a storyteller. Lily holds a Bachelor of Arts in French and Spanish (summa cum laude) from the University of Maryland at College Park, and a Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law.

1. tacogirl 29 July, 2011 at 11:26 AM #

Congratulations on being the new Road Warrior. Love your photography.

2. Lebawit Lily Girma 29 July, 2011 at 3:46 PM #

Thank you Tacogirl! 🙂

3. Jacquelyn Hughes Moo 13 May, 2012 at 5:00 PM #

I stumbled upon your website while looking up Maskell. I am moving to Belize in 2013 & this is one of the areas we’re looking at.

I want to check out more of your photography.

4. Lebawit Lily Girma 13 May, 2012 at 5:31 PM #

Hi Jacquelyn, how exciting! Congratulations on your move. I’ve traveled to Belize three times and stayed long term each time (about 5 months in total). You can view more of my collection of Belize photos here: http://lebawitgirma.smugmug.com

If there’s any info I can help with, feel free to shoot me a note and I’ll share what I know.

5. bzegial 15 May, 2012 at 8:58 PM #

omg i remember that bridge use to jump off of it after school. havent been in years. thanks for the memories. still beautiful

6. Lebawit Lily Girma 15 May, 2012 at 9:57 PM #

Thanks Bzegial – glad you found this postcard.

One Trackback

1. […] Maskal Village is about an hour outside of Belize City and close to Belize’s most visited Mayan site, Altun Ha. These kids weren’t letting the weather ruin their afternoon. Digg this post Recommend on Facebook Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post Tweet This Post This entry was posted in Caribbean, Central America, Culture and People, Postcards and tagged Belize, Belize City, Central America, children diving, Maskall Village, village kids. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL. « Publication News: New York Times Magazine […]